Near Miss Mac thur 1-19 The Sordid Story

An online forum dedicated to surfing Lakes Michigan and Superior. Please keep content Great Lakes surfing specific!

Moderators: Ryan, zoosleuth, Delanez, peterm773, steelo

Re: Thur night MAC?

Postby Rickelrd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 pm

did you end up riding? If so how was it?
Rickelrd

Re: Near Miss Mac thur 1-19 The Sordid Story

Postby WaveHungry » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:19 pm

The other Surfer in the water with me ...
His leash snapped after we got smoked by a set!
Sounds familiar :shock:
When the sky turns gray, the surfers come out to play!
WaveHungry

Postby Greystoke » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Good for you Tim! Lotta lessons in this post. Like you said, if you hadn't been there, the ending could of been different. I know I am just an old kook but still can't help but worry about some of our locals pushing the limits. I mean that in a fatherly way. I have said in the past that eventually we all have our day on the lake when things go very wrong and we hopefully come away wiser and safe. Glad to hear our young duct tape friend is ok. Time to save for better equipment. Glad this incident had good outcome. Brian.
Greystoke

Postby zoosleuth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:53 pm

When are they going to make a leash that doesn't break? Seriously. What are the big wave guys at mavs using and where can I get my hands on one?

I've lost 3 (2 in one day) before in some pretty big surf in El Salvador and they were the thicker FCS 9mm cords. Definitely some of the scariest moments of my life. Of course that was in warm water without a restrictive (but buoyant) 6mil wetsuit. The maxim is always leave enough gas in the tank to swim back to shore without your board if you have to. Of course, I'm as guilty as everyone of staying out too long when feeling it.

Good call on sharing the board and paddling back together. I think that's the right thing to do. At the very least if the person wants to swim it themselves, stick with them until they get in. People can get a cramp, especially in that cold and go south quick.
zoosleuth

Postby lakechewbacca » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 pm

hottpotat0 wrote:[1]DO NOT PADDLE OUT BY ONES SELF

...unless you have been doing it for decades. :wink:
Sanitized for your protection.
lakechewbacca

Postby 248 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:33 pm

did he get his board?

Postby WaveHungry » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 am

Yeah I had a similar experience at Mac out at the end of the jetty,took one on the head and heard/felt my leash go. Came to the surface to see my board racing to shore, swam a ways in to where the waves werent breaking on the rocks and climbed up. By the time I got my board one of my fin boxes had been messed up from being bounced down the beach and the fin was gone, but I found it. Thankfully Marty fixed her up nicely for me.
When the sky turns gray, the surfers come out to play!
WaveHungry

Return to Lakes Michigan and Superior