100% Newbie

An online forum for beginners, because everyone has to start somewhere! Please keep all content surfing specific.

Moderators: Ryan, zoosleuth, Delanez, peterm773, steelo

klconaway

100% Newbie

Postby klconaway » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:21 pm

It took me awhile to decide wether or not to post this but i decided to leave my comfort zone and take a shot at it.

My name is Kevin and i am 24 years old from a small town near Jackson Mi, i have never stepped foot on a surfboard nor a paddleboard. I have always been infatuated with the aspect of surfing but i never have taken a shot at it. It wasnt till last summer when i was sitting on the beach in Grand Haven and noticed 3-4 foot waves and i thought to myself, if i had a board could i ride those? Do people surf on Lake Michigan? After looking up some stuff online i realized you totally can, and i realized how popular it actually was. Ever since then i have had this aching in my body telling me i had to do this, or atleast give it a try. The reason i havent hopped on board the surf train yet is because my wife and i had our first child on August 23, Money has been tight and time has been scarce. Now that everything is starting to get back to normal i still cant go a day without wanting to give it a try.

The guess the question i really have is, Is it to late in the year for me to take a lesson? i know the best surf is in the fall and winter but i dont have any gear and i dont really have the fundings to invest in something i might not stick with. Is there a place i can take a lesson where i can rent or they will supply the right gear i need for this time of year?

Any advice would help, thanks

Greystoke

Re: 100% Newbie

Postby Greystoke » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Next summer, give 3rd Coast Surf shop in St. Joesph a call and take a lesson. That part is easy as pie and cheaper than buying all the gear. Ryan and crew at the shop will get you up and running. Good luck. (Sorry no one answered your post until now.) Brian.

klconaway

Postby klconaway » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:33 am

That's alright, at least someone finally replied with some advice. I figured that would be the smartest thing to do and now hearing it from someone makes it a little more acceptable. I'll just be patient and give 3rd coast a call when it's a little warmer out. Thanks for the response Brian.

klconaway

Postby klconaway » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:38 pm

well i deciced to take advantage of some small waves while i was vacationing in florida with the family. I Went to the local surf shop and rented the only board they had left which was 8 foot(a little small for my first time). They didnt provide lessons so i tried my best. Here are a couple of photos of my attempts lol.

Michigan

Postby Michigan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 am

Well , learning to ride in the shorebreak isn't east , but at least you got wet in February. I can't make that claim!
Best of luck , Michigan

klconaway

Postby klconaway » Sat May 30, 2015 7:12 pm

So i went on a little trip down to South Carolina and noticed the waves were pretty decent. Figured i would take advantage and had a really good lesson from an amazing instructor. Rode my first wave a long with a few more after and just like i thought, IM HOOKED. All while my wife tested out her new camera and practiced some photography.

FIRST WAVE

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Good for you Kevin! Glad you found a good instructor and it looked like just the right size for learning. It 's a bit tougher on the Lake because you will dealing with wind blown waves with a very short period between waves. Even if you borrow a paddle board and find a lake near Jackson, paddling ( and wave knowledge) are at the top of the list for being successful. Not sure of any surfers in Jackson you can carpool to the Lake with but Lansing has several. This is the slowest time of year for Lake waves, but conditions generally improve after July 4th. Hope to see you in Holland or South Haven. Brian.

Return to “Newbie/FAQ”